Tuesday, March 30, 2010

How To Be Heard...Or Die Trying

I've had some time to digest the news of last week that there is a mass in Terry's adrenal gland. The more I think about it and chew it over and over in my head the more frustrated I am with the conclusion. There's a good chance this is malignant, and we'll find out more after meeting with the oncologist on April 8.

The frustration stems not from knowing he may have a malignancy, but rather from the perspective that whatever is there might have been discovered sooner. Terry's family history includes his father's death from colon cancer, which Terry tells me started in the abdominal cavity and encroached into the colon, metastasizing there. I've maintained for some time that he needed a scan of some type to determine whether there was something there. Evidently, you must follow a series of other diagnostics and tests to rule other things out before you can justify doing a scan; specifically, a PET scan which can determine with a high probability whether masses are malignant or not. Terry was subjected to the same type of tests repeated at different times that never revealed anything.

I have to wonder what happens to those who don't have advocates looking out for them and attempting to navigate the system on their behalf. Are they just routed through standard protocols until at times it is too late? The attending physician at KU Med in the Gastroenterology Dept last week looked at me as though I had a third eye when I was questioning why he wanted to subject Terry to repetitive tests that kept coming back negative. They did do a CT scan on Friday to rule out a brain tumor, so I suppose that's thinking outside the box where recurrent vomiting and abdominal pain are concerned.

I'm not trying to borrow trouble and worry about whether it is or isn't malignant. But if it is and he has to endure surgery, chemo, and radiation as research online suggests, I will always wonder whether it might have all been avoided. It might not be that he could have avoided it completely, but maybe it might have been discovered sooner than it was, with treatment minimized as a result. Had he not been in pain at the time of Internal Medicine Dept appointment and had an empty stomach because of the discomfort, we still might not know there was a mass.

For now I'll focus on the fact that we know something's there, and on April 8 we'll have a better idea of what we'll be dealing with to come. Until then, I'll try not to freak every time he's telling me about a new pain or discomfort. I'll remind myself to keep demanding of his doctors what we think he needs. They know medicine, but I know Terry and what he's going through. I'll keep working to be heard, and in the process protect Terry from unnecessary tests. It's all I can do to keep the focus on him.


No comments:

Post a Comment