Monday, January 25, 2010

Change of Focus...and Back

This is a big week...we begin with KU Med on Wednesday with an internist....I have my file folder of test results, and biopsy results, and other relevant info....our neighbor, Cat, has even seen an episode of a show about medical mysteries that may prove to be an option to pursue in the way of diagnosis....I have no doubt we will learn what's been dragging Terry down, but I am equally confident it will become because of the work we do to figure it out...at least this is a fresh start, and my reason for taking a leave from work.

Until then, we've dealt with the news that Sandy had cervical cancer...as Terry's middle daughter, she's been the link between the sisters...Molly as the youngest daughter, and Charlotte, as the oldest daughter, are connected by Sandy... She is only 28 and has one child, and the idea that she had cancer was hard to believe...she had a procedure today using lasers to zap the cancerous cells...we have no reason to believe the procedure was not successful, and she'll find out for sure at her follow up appointment....until then, we're operating on a good faith basis that she's on her way to full recovery.

The journey we've been on with Terry's health is one thing, but when it's your child it's a trip you don't want to take....I'm not Sandy's mom, but I've been part of her life since she was about six...to think about her becoming seriously ill or requiring a hysterectomy at her age were painful considerations....I've resigned myself to certain realities where Terry is concerned, but I've tried to remain blissfully ignorant of the other losses we might endure...when you're smacked upside the head with reality it makes it incredibly difficult to ignore.

Because we have no reason at this point to think Sandy won't have a full recovery, we DO think she'll have a full recovery...that allows us to get our focus back to Terry and his upcoming appointments...he's going to need the focus...he's felt puny and had pain most of the past week...it's his turn...we're going to get this under control...so we can have our lives back under control....or some semblance of control... I'll take what I can get.


No comments:

Post a Comment